Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Antigua and Barbuda - NCL Jewel Day 5




I don't remember much of Antigua and Barbuda, much as I don't remember Tortolo. The fondest memory was the food today. It was memorable because we dined at Le Bistro, the specialty restaurant on the ship.
 Gnocchi. Rating 7.9

Grouper. 8.2

Tiramisu. 8.2

Le Bistro is one of the restaurants on board with a $15 cover charge per person. I'll say upfront, it was worth every penny. I would gladly pay this amount for this quality food anywhere on land.

Escargot Barguignonne, Duo de Foie Gras et Patrine de Conard Fume, Seared Sea Scallop. Escargot: the snails were big, buttery, salty, and oh so good. The foie gras was similar to what I've had before but of a moderately more notable quality. Still, my guess is that it wasn't goose liver. I'm no expert on it but it is food that I can either take or leave, at least this grade.

Onion Soup au Gratin, Cream of Mushroom Soup. Both soups were fantastic. Some of the best onion and cream of mushroom soup I've ever had anywhere.

Roquefort Frisee Salad. A very good salad. I would daresay the best salad I had on board.

Cassoulet, Choucroute Garnie al'Ancinne, Roasted Rack of Lamb. The first two are classic French dishes and so had to be ordered. I had a small slice of the duck and it was quite tasty but nothing extraordinary. The Choucroute Garnie was something I had to try because I wanted to make it but it was too much effort to find juniper berries. It was a pretty decent dish but of the three, I had to say this was the letdown. I can say that I've now tried it. The rack of lamb was the best dish of any we had on the cruise. It also ranks in the top 5 best lamb dishes that I've ever had.



Flambe Suzette, Chocolate Napolean, Creme Brulee. The Suzette was OK. It just didn't tickle my fancy. The Chocolate Napolean was the best chocolate dessert I had on the cruise. It was subtle but each ensuing bite got better. The best dish of all was the Creme Brulee. Finally there was a proper version of it served on board. It was light and custardy as brulee should be and the top was carmelized. I wouldn't say it was the best I've ever had but it rated in the top 10. Again, if you're on board, I highly recommend you let go of your scrooge ways, pay the $15 cover and get some great food. Also the service was steps beyond the service in the main dining area (Tsar's).

No comments:

Post a Comment